After 20 years my OBEs have stopped!

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex-Anderson

Guys this is driving me crazy, I had probably about at least 3 or more OBEs per week for many years/decades, and my experiences became very mature and controlled in the latter years, but for some reason they stopped suddenly about 2 years ago.

Since then external factors such as a new position at work (higher workload + stress) and the birth of my twins could be contributing factors  :|, but nonetheless I feel somewhat depressed loosing what I thought was a unique gift.

Every night at bed I'm thinking about possible OBE experiences but nothing ever avails (mine always happened from sleep). However I still have very detailed lucid dreams (as I did as a child prior to OBEs occurring), but so far it remains as is with nothing more than a lucid dream.

I remember reading a book stating that OBEs can just stop in mid/late adulthood and never return, has anyone ever had this and found some way to re-kickstart the experiences again?

Xanth

Quote from: Alex-Anderson on July 18, 2014, 18:55:25
Guys this is driving me crazy, I had probably about at least 3 or more OBEs per week for many years/decades, and my experiences became very mature and controlled in the latter years, but for some reason they stopped suddenly about 2 years ago.

QuoteHowever I still have very detailed lucid dreams (as I did as a child prior to OBEs occurring), but so far it remains as is with nothing more than a lucid dream.
The ONLY issue you have is that you're stuck on labels.
To me, those two quotes above are contradictory. 

Here's what you're saying: "I used to have lots of OBE's, but within the last two years they've stopped... except now I have lots of Lucid Dreams."
Here's my perspective: "I used to have lots of projections, but within the last two years they've stopped... except now I have lots of projections."

An OBE *IS* a projection.
A lucid dream *IS* a projection.

Your ONLY problem is that you "believe" that they're different things... and, as I said, you're too hung up on labels. 
Forget the terms you know.  They're meaningless and worthless.  If you're consciously aware that you're experiencing a reality which isn't this physical reality, then you're projecting.

What you need to do is learn to control what you're calling a "lucid dream" and dictate where and what you do in those experiences.  They're ALL non-physical experiences.
If you want to experience something resembling this physical reality while having what you're calling a "lucid dream", then just do it.  You're only limiting yourself here.  Place the intent.  Do what you choose to do.  Have control.

You have no problem here beyond what you believe you do.  You haven't lost anything except time.

Projector4life

I feel your frustration. My lucid dreams feel way inferior to my out of body experiences. If I have a lucid dream, I immediately try to abort it since in my opinion it is a failure. I found what worked for me to get my ability back was to strengthen my willpower. Every time I lost my willpower, I ended up having too many lucid dreams. 

Xanth

Quote from: Projector4life on July 19, 2014, 02:26:05
If I have a lucid dream, I immediately try to abort it since in my opinion it is a failure.
SERIOUSLY!?  O_o

I bet that you have had lucid dreams that are as aware/clear as any "OBE" you have, yet you're so sold on this belief that "OBEs > Lucid Dreams" that you would refuse to acknowledge the experience even if it was smacking up you upside the head.

Bluefirephoenix

Szaxx

Simple guidelines.
Fear has to be controlled or removed from the equasion.
Doubt is next, this is the second largest fail initiator.

As Xanth has pointed out, labels are only useful as part of a description. If you BELIEVE these terms of LD, OBE... are all totally separate and specific you're allowing doubt to enter the equasion.
A LD is where the environment is created for you and youre conciously aware you can influence it. Yep you already know that. What about shouting STOP while you have control. Use your INTENT to freeze the dream and watch it fade into the blackness of the void.
You now have TOTAL CONTROL the classic requirement to label it as a full on projection.. A simple step of ignoring a label that you BELIEVED was rigid and utilising it as a precursor to a projection results in a projection first class.
LD's are your wakeup call, use them for what they are. The initial stage of a projection, thats exactly what they are.
Mindset changed now?
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Alex-Anderson

For me I previously use to exit by simply falling asleep, focussing and then demanding to leave my body (be it upon first falling to asleep or upon wakening in the early hours of the night). However my ability or technique no longer works. Meanwhile I will still have lucid dreams but this has always been a backdrop, and I do not associate this as I would do an a OBE. One is simply through a different lens, and is consciously disconnected compared to my OBEs.

I know you say they are all of one, but irrespective the overall mechanics, context, and content is different. Therefore it's only natural to categorise and prioritise ones experiences. It is an interesting debate regarding categorisation, and the topic is very subjective, but I think as an individual dealing with various experiences its naturally dependent on the self taught learning curve one undertakes (some are less steep and progressive than others). But I do believe its important to place things into context, and naturally the context and content influences those categorisations we are talking about above.

For me OBEs and lucid dreams have always been separate, perhaps this more to do with how I have entered both experiences, and naturally the content that has unfolded between the two.

I will try and work to see if I can aim for convergence between a lucid dream and a consciously controlled projection, but I guess my point is why the mechanics have changed after fairly robust trend of countless experiences. Perhaps this all part of the learning curve and I need to now explore my lucid dreams in a different context.

Xanth

Szaxx

You have to adapt. Be open to new ideas.
I can say what worked daily for me in 1965 has absolutely no way of working today. I've tried to adapt the principle and only obtain crystal clear visualisations of another environment.
I had to change tactics many times over the decades as one methods functionality is seemingly contentious in long term consistency.
That said, the many progressions made in experiential complexities may have a respective attribute in the methods utilised failiures.
Most of the early experiences were in a perfect copy of the physical, the labeled RTZ.
I have had perhaps three RTZ related experiences in the last twenty years.
There's far more important trials and tribulations that take precedence and retrievals take most of my non physical time.

It may be you've progressed in some respect.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

soarin12

I can't rely on my old faithful original technique either.  I have to rotate techniques now because my brain is always in a different state of tiredness/excitement from night to night.  For example, visualization works well for me if my mind is a little too sleepy, because it is more of an active, exciting technique that'll wake me up a little.  Last night I tried visualizing, but it was absolutely the wrong thing to do because I was  a little too awake, and the visualizing was just waking me up more.  So instead, I put myself into a meditation that would head me towards sleep as fast as possible.  For a conscious exit, it's all about getting to the hypnogogic state as fast as possible, and then not falling asleep once your there.  -A delicate balance in need of different techniques for different nights. I'm sure the same is true of a non-conscious projection.  We are beings always 'in flux.'  Different levels of sleepiness, excitement, stress, doubts etc. from day to day call for flexibility in techniques used.