Demystifying the out of body experience book question?

Previous topic - Next topic

PlasmaAstralProjection

So I got the book from the library today called Demystifying the out of body experience by Luis Minero and I couldn't help but to notice that they take the out of body experience to a whole new level with detailed definitions of out of body and consciousness things.

Now I know that Xanth doesn't like these types of definitions. Or am I wrong that these definitions do apply to consciousness.

Anybody think these specific definitions are unnecessary? Then there is the work of Waldo Vieira which talks about this even more so I am sure. Personally I think these definitions of consciousness phenomena are very much needed for this seemingly nebulous topic.

Xanth

What are these "detailed definitions of out of body and consciousness things" he provides?

PlasmaAstralProjection

For instance he gives different names for the different types of bodies.

Here is a list of words you have probably heard before.

Soma: Physical body
Energosoma or Holochakra: Energetic body or Etheric body
Psychosoma: Emotional or astral body
Mentalsoma: Intellectual body

Then there are the different dimensions.

Physical dimension
Tropospheric or crustal extraphysical dimensions
Proper extraphysical dimensions
Mental dimensions

I don't feel like typing out the definition for those but you get the idea. If you want a definition I will give it to you.

Xanth

No no, it's okay.  I get the idea.  :)

See, most people who follow those concepts haven't actually put any unique thought into their non-physical adventures and are mostly just parroting that which they've heard in the past.

All I can say is that, to myself, I've proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that those concepts are ridiculous and completely unnecessary... and actually do more harm than good, because they limit yourself and your experiences.  By removing the need to label things, you free your experiences from the confines of "boxes" and allow you to experience anything and everything under the rainbow.

In other words, there's no "demystifying" going on with Luis... he's just tangling his readers in layer after layer of belief and concepts.  He's MYSTIFYING it even more.

PlasmaAstralProjection

Xanth are you saying there is no truth in what he is saying?

Xanth

Quote from: PlasmaAstralProjection on April 07, 2015, 21:58:32
Xanth are you saying there is no truth in what he is saying?
I can only speak from my own perspective: Correct.

You'll need to find your answer though.

skeptic

astralm

I view this type of book a little differently.  I go about it the same way you should go about reading one of those science articles on CNN.  You know the ones where eggs are good, wait no bad, no no good, or whatever month it happens to be.  Truth is that article is a review of a hardcore science research paper which is done by a journalist with most likely either a communications or English degree.  Now if you haven't read a lot of scientific articles they are pretty much their own language.  So does this mean there is no truth in the CNN report?  No, there probably is some truth in the actual data but any conclusions drawn by the author should probably either be taken with a grain of salt or not taken at all.  Because frankly I would rather not get my Nutrition advice from a journalist who read through a Biology/Nutrition science paper and decided he could understand it because he is the department expert due to the fact he took one intro to biology course as an elective.

Stillwater

There is a lot to be learned from the old texts on consciousness study, but you sort of need to read a lot of it through the lens of the authors doing the best they could with 2000-year-old understandings of the world at large. The trouble is that people read these things like they would read a cookbook. You can't follow the instructions word for word, and you can't really look to them to explain the world to you. But often they give you an idea of where to look, and what avenues you are probably ignoring.

For instance, do I think, as the Upanishads tell me, that placing my hands into certain mudras while I meditate is going to open special pathways to energy development? Not for a moment... that is the literal reading.

But... what if focusing my attention on my hands causes me pulse to sensation along my periphoral nervous system? What if these pulses cause a further relaxation that eases me into a theta-cycle trance more easily?

I think this is how you have to approach these things. Not as a blind devotee, but as an experimenter, and a questioner. The old techniques and knowledge takes you places. But it is up to you to figure out why!
"The Gardener is but a dream of the Garden."

-Unattributed Zen monastic