Proprioceptive hypnagogic hallucinations

Previous topic - Next topic

Re

That was a mouthful of a title!

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so... apologies in advance.

Anyway, I have been experiencing hypnagogic imagery and sounds all my life since I was a kid. It always comes when I'm about to fall asleep. Usual stuff. Sometimes I used to get (not anymore) feelings related to touch, although not focused to any part of my body. I would feel "rugged" (not myself, mind you, but "it", "it" was rugged), or "soft", or "dense", "pointy"... you get the idea. I used to have these a lot as a child, but not that much nowadays.

Then there's another kind of stuff, which is proprioceptive (related to the positioning of your body in relation to your environment or to itself). I know, this sounds a lot like projection, but not quite. It can happen with my eyes open, while reading a book with the light on even. Sometimes I feel my body is huge, and I'm looking down from my face as if I was myself a huge towering mountain. Sometimes it's the opposite. My body is really small, and my point of view is huge, I feel like I could fit my whole bed in my mouth (weird image right there). Sometimes (more often with my eyes closed), I feel as if I had a wall just inches from my face.

It's fascinating, but opposed to regular hypnagogic stuff, which you can kind of interact with and control to a certain extent (in my case this is specially true with sounds/music), this is completely out of my hands. And the thing is I don't even need to be in an altered state of consciousness. As I said, I can be reading a book. I have noted though, that I only get these feelings lying down and being relaxed. But in any case, at that point I'm as far as one can be from falling asleep.

Have you experienced anything like this? I'm really eager to know more about it, but it's so sporadic that I can't really conduct any kind of research on it...
My humble OBE and LD diary:
http://reasinre.wordpress.com/

proyect_outzone

QuoteHave you experienced anything like this? I'm really eager to know more about it, but it's so sporadic that I can't really conduct any kind of research on it...

I know, what you mean. During the relaxation are several severe distorted perceptions possible. This includes especially the perceptions of the body feelings and the visual perceptions. These are most frequently affected.

Quotethat I can't really conduct any kind of research on it...

Here are my research results:

Quote(1.2.1.1.2.2) Perceptions of the position and the form of the body and the body parts Here are experiences mentioned, which concern the perception of the position and form of the body and the body parts.    

(1.2.1.1.2.2.1) With closed eyes, one often can perceive a false position of the body. One believes, a body part lies elsewhere, than it really lies. As long, as one does not move the affected body part, it feels very realistic. That sensation disappears immediately if one moves the affected body parts. This experience occurs mostly during deep relaxation. An intentional experiencing is possible by asymmetric (or irregular) concentration on some body parts.

(1.2.1.1.2.2.2) The sensation of "1.2.1.1.2.2.1" can often be accompanied by a highly distorted perception of the body. The distorted perceptions can also occur alone. Some variations of this experience are caused by "1.2.1.1.1.1.2" and "1.2.1.1.1.1.3". But the most variations of this experience can also be caused by a irregular spreading of the energy (Which can be created consciously or unconsciously.). One concentrates on a part of the body and this concentration attracts energy. This energy causes more attention. This attention attracts more energy. In this way can the attention and the attracted energy lead to very extreme perceptions of the proportions of the body.

Quote(1.2.2.3.2.1) The observation of visible supernatural experiences often leads to distorted perceptions. The distorted perception of the field of view is a side effect of the vision of supernatural experiences. This perception distortion causes, that one perceives the field of view of one eye sometimes extremely enlarged or downsized. Furthermore, the field of view can be seemingly strongly shifted. The cause is, that the vision of supernatural experiences requires the vision with the astral body. One adjusts during the vision (mostly unintentionally by concentration and attention) the proportions of the perception of the field of view of the astral body. The concentration of energy can also be a cause, because it draws attention to specific points. The perception of the affected areas (field of view,...) can be "enlarged" due this attention. This experience is absolutely harmless and disappears, when one ends the observation and the relaxation.

(1.2.2.3.2.2) A side effect which occurs mainly during the observation of free energy, is a blurring or distortion of the impression of the environment. The environment seems often to be smaller or larger, than it actually is (although there is no optical illusion). The environment can also look somehow "flat". This is often intensified by a accompanying queasy till strange sensation.

Szaxx

This is a symptom of disassociation from the physical. I went through this way back too. It usually leads to a lucid dream or a wierd type of projection. The sort with 360 degree vision and the movement you make isn't in the direction of your percieved forward. I can remember it clearly as a learning to move thing. You first notice the ( typically forward) direction is incorrect to what you see as the centre of direction viewed when you attempt to move in that direction. Having the 360 throws your brains interpretation of normality to start with then moving what you percieve as forwards sends you off in another direction adds to this. The lesson is to understand that you can see through any angle while moving forwards in this example.
The nearest thing to this exists in a video game where you select the camera view away from forwards then try to run in the cameras direction. This technology is a great way to test yourself at moving in this predicament. In the 1960's it wasn't even a dream lol.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Lionheart

You can learn how to manipulate purposely this as well!  :wink:

Begin by focusing on 6 different points about 2 feet away form your body. One to the right, in back of you, to the left, in front of you, underneath your feet and lastly over your head.

Now when you focus on the individual point, feel your "etheric/astral body" being pulled in that direction. To make this even stronger, try to bounce directions like right/left, front/back, down/up. You will find that you can start to feel what that "Stretch Armstrong" toy doll you had as a kid feels like, lol.

You don't necessarily have to "see" from that point. Meaning, you aren't trying to "merge" with it and see from that point of view. (But if you do, it's pretty cool). What you are doing is just simply feeling the pull from it that direction.

Once you get to this level, you can PM me for further fun things you can do from there. Either that or if enough people are interested I will create a thread just on this technique. :-)

If you practice this or meditation in general enough , you will find that even when you are reading or watching TV and not moving, that this disassociation with the body starts occurring on it's own. This could simply be because reading and watching TV have been proven to change your mental state/frequency to Alpha. The Alpha state is where you find yourself in a mild meditative state. Many times when I just sit down to read, I find that the vibrations and numbness is starting to begin. The longer I sit motionless, the stronger the sensation gets. It has likely always been like this, it's just that this practice in general teaches you how to become AWARE of everything in and around you  :-)