Sleep ATTACK!!!

Previous topic - Next topic

Vinny10

Hi guys,
I am new at this OBE thing but here is what has been going on with me and I don't know exactly what it means.

As I sleep (in a car, plane or chair), I awaken with a shock. I dont know if that is the correct term to it; I spaz out you can say..lol right after I am suddenly awaking. I dont know why I awaken as I am still tired & sleepy.

One time I remember being on an airplane, slept for a little while, and then all of a sudden, I spazed out like I had seen a ghost or something and I felt some pain in my chest after awakening as I was dreaming about a fight was about to get into. I was thinking to myself that the two people next to me probably think I am weirdo ..lol

What does this mean?
And exactly what kind of advise can you give me to improve my chances of an OBE? I used to be able to dream lucidly (when I was really young) but not knowing the meaning of it back then, I have forgotten how I did it.

This 'attack' seems to happen only when I am sleeping while sitting in an up-right position.
Vin

Vinny10

OK here is the description --- Like someone electricuted me.
Vin

-lines-

Yeah, it's like you get shocked awake. You take a very sharp breath in as well I guess? I've had this a few times, but I don't know what it is either.

(Edit: Not shocked like pain, but startled.)
- Skeptical until proven otherwise -

Blank

well your not the only one who has them, I think its more from you body not being properly paralysed while your asleep
"Not one day that you are here has been promised to you, so make the most of every day as if it was your last and every breath as if it was the same" - Blindspott

Agntneo

I've seen kids sleeping in cars/planes and similar vehicals sleeping.. when they woke up they started to cry...

Truth? I don't know why.
People Can Fly

Psan

:D Very funny ghostly jerk.

Hypnic jerk

A hypnic or hypnogogic jerk is an involuntary muscle twitch (more generally known as myoclonus or a myclonic twitch) which often occurs during the transition from wakefulness to sleep (see hypnogogia).

It is often described as an electric shock or falling sensation, and can cause movement of the body in bed. Hypnic jerks are completely normal, and are experienced by most people, especially when over-tired or sleeping uncomfortably.

The exact cause of the sudden jerks is not clear, but there are two main hypotheses to explain them. One is that it is a naturally occurring part of the sleep process, as are slower breathing, and reduced body temperature. Another hypothesis is that the feelings associated with relaxation before sleep are misinterpreted by the brain as falling or toppling over, and by reflex the body jerks out the limbs to stay upright.

Hypnic jerks are usually felt just once or twice per night. More regular (and usually less dramatic) muscle twitches often occur during normal sleep (perhaps as much as one every thirty seconds). In extreme cases, this may be classified as a disorder called periodic limb movement. The person with the disorder will usually sleep through the events, and the partner sleeping in the same bed is kept awake.

-lines-

Yeah, for me that'd be it. Had the very quick falling dreams that result in me snapping awake with the feeling that I had hit the mattress before. I guess you don't need to feel the relaxation of the muscles to be startled awake by it (like what I was mentioning in my earlier post). Thanks for finding that information out.
- Skeptical until proven otherwise -

xxsicknessxx

I was told when you feel like your falling, is when your brain wakes up befor your body or something.. I cant remember what.. but something like that