Trapped in a lucid dream cycle

Previous topic - Next topic

sheriff_rango

This is a bit of a sloppy post and I apologise in advance especially for the melodramatic title!
Okay so I've been lucid dreaming for a while now. So much so that I don't need to do any affirmations or exercises I just kind of expect it to happen and I LD around 2-3 times a week usually.It normally starts mid-dream with a kind of flickering of awareness or lucidity if you will and its up to me to sort of grab it. Once i'm lucid I find it takes a bit of effort to maintain that state.I don't know if I've read it somewhere or not but I feel like I have to keep moving and I instinctively start running around trying to keep the momentum going and here's where my problems start...
  Firstly I feel this intense sense of dread, almost choking the air. I attribute this to being a natural wimp(!) and nothing scary or dangerous has happened but I doubt that its the best frame of mind to go about this. I try talking to people and they become like blank ciphers even if they were actively engaged in the dream earlier. Also everywhere I go becomes like a stage set sort of flimsy and unreal not dreamlike but what was somewhat definite before lucidity loses this quality e.g. sometimes I find myself in a beautiful or interesting location but as soon as I try to explore I start shifting out of the dream. I find that as long as I keep my focus I can get back into a dream sometimes even the same one.I blackout for a second and I feel like I'm falling or sinking but I'm back and fully lucid. A variation of this happens maybe 5 or 6 times and I wake up with an achy head and neck. once I tried to stay still just it down for a change and I started slipping out again so that made little difference.
There's a few other things I wanna go into(OOBE-lke dreams, weird vision problems etc) but the above is what happens to me pretty much each time I LD and its quite unsatisfying and disappointing. Its not that I have any particular expectations of the NPR (and reading around suggests LD and AP are kind of the same state?) but yeah, I feel a bit trapped and restricted  in this cycle like I'm not progressing.I need some kind of breakthrough cos at the very least my sleeptime isn't really relaxing. Is a change of mindset required, something that simple? Should I set specific goals for myself? Should I attempt AP again (haven't for a while)?
Anyway thanks for reading this :-)

Lionheart

What you seem to be experiencing is what I call "Rescripting". Many times I will find I am stuck in a Dream cycle/loop that just keeps repeating itself. I am fully consciously aware in the Dream and have found that it keeps looping if I haven't solved whatever it is I was supposed it or see the message I was intended to see or find.

Look up "Rescripting" in our search engine, found in the upper right hand corner. You can compare it to my definition and see other posts I have created on this topic as well.

I also believe that Rescripting can sometimes be an excellent way to learn how to navigate the NP Realms.

Sometimes the things that happen in this entire practice are created to help you to further evolve with it period.

sheriff_rango

Thanks for the tip.I searched rescripting and I'm getting the impression (totally feel free to correct me if I've got it wrong) that its where a dream is repeated or reexperienced regularly and how to remedy that.The issue for me isn't so much the content of the dreams as it is the lack of any.As soon as I gain lucidity the dream, the action kind of just stops dead.Its like watching and/or participating in a film to walking around the empty set.My dreams have turned into a succession of abandoned streets and buildings.I can't change the surroundings or even really explore them and its a bit of a hollow experience tbh. If you (or anyone) has any suggestions as to how I can best utilize the dream environment cos it feels like a wasted opportunity otherwise. I feel that maybe I'm going about things wrong attitude-wise or something and the answer is right in front of me and I'm missing it.. :-(

Szaxx

Theres a good chance you are.
Look around the scene and think how it relates to you. You will already have the answer but it needs to click, it's as you said, already there.
Don't look at the physical aspects, look at the 'how you feel' aspect. What does the scene represent that applies to you?
You should find something that needs to be changed about yourself. You could try looking as if you were another person. That may help once you start to understand the 'why am I here' aspect.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

Re

I have experienced exactly the same thing you describe a couple of times. As soon as I gained lucidity, everyone stopped moving. Sometimes they stared at me, as if they expected to be told what to do. Environments lose all interest to them and become just like movie sets. I never felt the dread in this context though.

I always attributed this to the fact that the dream had become almost fully consciously controlled, and since I had to "make everything happen" consciously and I couldn't keep track of such a vivid thing a dream is, it just became too self-conscious. Like trying to dance while thinking how to dance and not letting go. :)

I've recently considered that this belief is what actually causes that. I think conscious control is difficult and limiting, therefore the dream becomes limited and awkward. The thing is, the subconscious may be in control behind the scenes all along. I don't know, it's just a theory.

It's been a while since this has happened to me and I never got the chance to try to solve the problem more than a couple of times, so I really don't know what to tell you.

When this happens run for the nearest door and open it, then the next, and the next, and so on. Just keep rushing through doors until something unexpected happens. Kiss someone.
My humble OBE and LD diary:
http://reasinre.wordpress.com/

Lionheart

Quote from: sheriff_rango on October 15, 2013, 12:13:26
Thanks for the tip.I searched rescripting and I'm getting the impression (totally feel free to correct me if I've got it wrong) that its where a dream is repeated or reexperienced regularly and how to remedy that.The issue for me isn't so much the content of the dreams as it is the lack of any.As soon as I gain lucidity the dream, the action kind of just stops dead.Its like watching and/or participating in a film to walking around the empty set.My dreams have turned into a succession of abandoned streets and buildings.I can't change the surroundings or even really explore them and its a bit of a hollow experience tbh. If you (or anyone) has any suggestions as to how I can best utilize the dream environment cos it feels like a wasted opportunity otherwise. I feel that maybe I'm going about things wrong attitude-wise or something and the answer is right in front of me and I'm missing it.. :-(

The trick is to "go with the flow" of the Dream immediately after becoming Lucid. Don't try to alter it or take control of it immediately. This will always end the Dream. Just let it play, but because you are Lucid, you can start to enter little changes here and there while fully aware of them. This usually comes in the form of decision making.

Many times, including today, I have become Lucid in a Dream, but it was a 3rd person Dream. I was consciously aware, but just viewing it like I would in the theatre, even though it lacked the popcorn, lol. I say 3rd person because at no time in it, was I doing anything at all. It was like I was a cloud, watching it play out from above. With this Dream, this is what I was supposed to do. That's the only way I could discern what the real message of the Dream was.

CFTraveler

I have a few ideas that most people here will disagree with, or tell you it's just belief constructs.  But I'll do it anyway.
When you have a lot of NP experiences, when they are new there is a lot to learn, and for a time, you do.  You learn to find out what the scapes represent, what you can create, how to navigate, you are sometimes taken to places that are either very scary or classical in the sense of schools scenarios.  This is because as a 'new' conscious explorer (and I'm using 'conscious' the old fashioned way) there are many characteristics of this new scape for you to absorb and learn to wrangle.  But like in life, when you learn about things in a physical and concrete way, eventually you run out of things to learn-because there is more to reality than form and function.  So you start getting more abstract lessons or experiences, and you end up having to solve more complicated 'puzzle-like' situations.  Since these are personal, I won't describe any- but some can be very stressful and frustrating.  But eventually, if you are involved in spirituality, you come to the 'understanding (or belief, or idea) that we create that which we experience, and that life is an 'illusion' (or some similar language) and then you begin to experience it in the NP.  Here landscapes turn into partitioned-out scenarios that look like theater stage, or one of those fake beach-pools- you begin to see the fakeness of the scenery.  I think this happens as a side effect of this understanding that you're coming to, and sometimes passes away if you can start to conceptualize more and rely less on form and function.  The ancients called this 'changing your projected body' from one 'plane' to the 'next'- and it's a sign of progress.  
Maybe if you come to realize that the things that used to be fun or interesting are things you've outgrown, (in the NP) and can ask (your Higher Self/Subconscious/Superconscious) to show you something that you can do, or to point you in the direction of what you're supposed to be able to do next.  If you get a different experience, analyze it to see what it has taught you.
Why?

Lionheart

Quote from: CFTraveler on October 15, 2013, 19:26:55
I have a few ideas that most people here will disagree with, or tell you it's just belief constructs.  But I'll do it anyway.
When you have a lot of NP experiences, when they are new there is a lot to learn, and for a time, you do.  You learn to find out what the scapes represent, what you can create, how to navigate, you are sometimes taken to places that are either very scary or classical in the sense of schools scenarios.  This is because as a 'new' conscious explorer (and I'm using 'conscious' the old fashioned way) there are many characteristics of this new scape for you to absorb and learn to wrangle.  But like in life, when you learn about things in a physical and concrete way, eventually you run out of things to learn-because there is more to reality than form and function.  So you start getting more abstract lessons or experiences, and you end up having to solve more complicated 'puzzle-like' situations.  Since these are personal, I won't describe any- but some can be very stressful and frustrating.  But eventually, if you are involved in spirituality, you come to the 'understanding (or belief, or idea) that we create that which we experience, and that life is an 'illusion' (or some similar language) and then you begin to experience it in the NP.  Here landscapes turn into partitioned-out scenarios that look like theater stage, or one of those fake beach-pools- you begin to see the fakeness of the scenery.  I think this happens as a side effect of this understanding that you're coming to, and sometimes passes away if you can start to conceptualize more and rely less on form and function.  The ancients called this 'changing your projected body' from one 'plane' to the 'next'- and it's a sign of progress.  
Maybe if you come to realize that the things that used to be fun or interesting are things you've outgrown, (in the NP) and can ask (your Higher Self/Subconscious/Superconscious) to show you something that you can do, or to point you in the direction of what you're supposed to be able to do next.  If you get a different experience, analyze it to see what it has taught you.

Five Star post CFT! *****

...in short, you are saying we are "evolving" and with that new evolution comes new horizons, new experiences and a new sense of awareness!  :-)

CFTraveler

Why?

sheriff_rango

Quote from: Re on October 15, 2013, 18:44:19
I have experienced exactly the same thing you describe a couple of times. As soon as I gained lucidity, everyone stopped moving. Sometimes they stared at me, as if they expected to be told what to do. Environments lose all interest to them and become just like movie sets. I never felt the dread in this context though.

I always attributed this to the fact that the dream had become almost fully consciously controlled, and since I had to "make everything happen" consciously and I couldn't keep track of such a vivid thing a dream is, it just became too self-conscious. Like trying to dance while thinking how to dance and not letting go. :)

I've recently considered that this belief is what actually causes that. I think conscious control is difficult and limiting, therefore the dream becomes limited and awkward. The thing is, the subconscious may be in control behind the scenes all along. I don't know, it's just a theory.

It's been a while since this has happened to me and I never got the chance to try to solve the problem more than a couple of times, so I really don't know what to tell you.

When this happens run for the nearest door and open it, then the next, and the next, and so on. Just keep rushing through doors until something unexpected happens. Kiss someone.

Thats it exactly! Its comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this.And the dread's just me being a scaredy-cat really!

Its funny cos I've read in a few places that finding a door is a good way to navigate the NPR but I never remember to. I've full consciousness and all my memories intact so I do all the other little tricks (being aware of my hands, spinning around to maintain lucidity etc) but never that one. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

sheriff_rango

Quote from: CFTraveler on October 15, 2013, 19:26:55

Thats an intriguing concept and nicely expressed too. Lots of food for thought there. :-)

Lionheart

Quote from: sheriff_rango on October 17, 2013, 06:55:59
Thats it exactly! Its comforting to know that I'm not the only one who has experienced this.And the dread's just me being a scaredy-cat really!

Its funny cos I've read in a few places that finding a door is a good way to navigate the NPR but I never remember to. I've full consciousness and all my memories intact so I do all the other little tricks (being aware of my hands, spinning around to maintain lucidity etc) but never that one. I'll keep it in mind for next time.
Just know to look ahead of you and find the door. Do this and the door shall be there!   :wink:

ATOMxTHExGREAT

sheriff_rango..

for my two cents, ill tell you that in my earliest recollections of what always worked to keep me in the "original" dream (the one i was having right before becoming lucid and ruining it haha), was to just admire something reality.... take in how real it is, enjoy the sensations.... its very overwhelming to take in a new world for the first time and takes time to get a feel for it, and i am thinking that is where your loosing it... i wouldn't suggest running around hysterically trying to teach yourself how to negative because you'll never get used to the underlying issue.. ( maybe im wrong but sounds like the overwhelming reality is getting you)..

think about it like this, what if we brought someone from the 1800's to our present time I-MAX. this person would be so overwhelmed with sights and sounds that they would freak-out and never enjoy the beauty of good film. if this person kept running into theater after theater he would continue to add to the issue.

now same situation... except this time we allow our time traveler to admire the seats, the lighting, size of the screen, and every small detail of the bigger picture and slowly introduce him to the movie at his pace... now it will still take some getting used to but eventually he will understand how real and exciting everything is and become more open to grand and exciting realities!
Do not listen to the one who says to close your mind

CFTraveler

The door can be anything that doesn't 'belong.'  Even a vortex of strangeness can act as a doorway.
Why?