News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

My unusual experience- People in my room

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdog302

Hello everyone! I'm not quite sure if this is in the right section, but I felt that it would be appropriate to put this topic here. I have hinted at and spoken briefly about the "hypnagogic hallucinations" that I had for many years up until about two years ago. I wanted to talk a little bit about them, and hear your thoughts. I put hypnagogic hallucinations in quotes because it was merely a label that a therapist I used to see put on them, and it seemed to make sense. However, I'm not even quite sure if they really were hallucinations. I'll never know for sure, but I'd like to share.

Ever since I was very young, I've had almost every kind of sleep problem possible from sleep walking to night terrors to hallucinations/Sleep paralysis. They've grown a lot better in recent years, but about five years ago I began having very unique and very vivid hallucinations. The first experience was very memorable. It was a very stormy night, and my little brother was too afraid to sleep in his own room so we brought his mattress into my room for the night. I fell asleep quickly, and I woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. When I sat up, I saw my brother standing outside of my closet and he was staring at me. He looked very gray, but then again, it was dark. I called out to him but he didn't answer. I turned on the lights and the image was gone, and he was actually still in bed. Now, THAT experience I am fairly sure is a hypnagogic one because it occurred directly after awakening.

Things changed very rapidly. First of all, that was the only time for the next three years until the hallucinations stopped that I would ever hallucinate someone that I had known or seen before. Everyone after the image of my brother was someone who I had NEVER ever seen before. People of all races, ages, gender etc. What they all shared in common was that they all were composed of shades of gray, and when they walked it almost was like watching a flipbook. Their image would shutter and flicker like a candle. It wasn't fluid. But the thing is, this wasn't always after waking up or going to bed. Sometimes it was during the day, but most of the time in a dark room. Sometimes they would try to speak to me, but I could not hear them. They would linger for quite a few minutes if I didn't run out of the room immediately. Sometimes even after I turned on my lights they would still be there, and they remained after I blinked several times or left the room and came back. This is why I somewhat doubt the whole hypnagogic hallucination ideas.

So anyway, after awhile the people in my room began to grow more sinister and would often be carrying a weapon or sharp object like a knife. That's when I went into therapy. Oh, I also had three sleep studies that were all inconclusive. The therapist couldn't really figure things out, but he taught me how to meditate which helped a bit. There was only one time where I ever heard one of them speak. I woke up one night to the feeling of being shook and a small girl saying "Wake up (my name), Wake up!". I looked around my room and saw nothing. I then lied back down and when I looked up there was a man with a mask and two daggers hanging from my ceiling. He dropped on me and I screamed until my parents came into my room and turned on the lights. Sometimes the people I saw were recurrent, and would come back once in awhile.

The funny thing is, my allergist out of all people recommended that I try taking Melatonin. After taking it regularly for a few months, I never had hallucinations again. I wonder if it was a placebo effect or not, but I don't mind not having these disturbances. What do you guys think?

LightBeam

I have few questions for you. Define hallucination. What do you think hallucination is? Do you watch horror movies, or play videogames involving fighting? Do you have fears of ghosts, attacks?
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

darkdog302

Quote from: LightBeam on July 11, 2014, 02:59:35
I have few questions for you. Define hallucination. What do you think hallucination is? Do you watch horror movies, or play videogames involving fighting? Do you have fears of ghosts, attacks?

A hallucination is when you see something occurr that did not actually happen in this physical reality whether it is a sound or image etc. I do watch a lot of horror movies, and I do play lots of violent games. (Typical teenage boy). I don't fear ghost attacks. I don't believe in possession unless you ask for it.

Xanth

Quote from: darkdog302 on July 11, 2014, 11:05:13
A hallucination is when you see something occurr that did not actually happen in this physical reality whether it is a sound or image etc. I do watch a lot of horror movies, and I do play lots of violent games. (Typical teenage boy). I don't fear ghost attacks. I don't believe in possession unless you ask for it.
But you saw it happen in this physical reality. 
Just because someone else didn't or couldn't see it... doesn't mean YOU didn't experience it.   :)