News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

Meditation--> psychosis (recent article in Harper's)

Previous topic - Next topic

GrumpyRabbit

Came across this fascinating and challenging article in Harper's:

https://harpers.org/archive/2021/04/lost-in-thought-psychological-risks-of-meditation/

The entire time I read it, I was thinking back to having read the book "Spiritual Emergency" last year. The book talks about the line between psychosis and a "spiritual crisis", and how something spiritual could be confused with a mental health emergency. I thought perhaps by the end of the article I'd be able to "figure out" what was "really" going on, but the article ended and I felt well and truly gutted. It seemed truly ambiguous. Not whether or not these effects really happen to people (obviously the research shows we have to accept that it does), but rather how it happens, why, and what does it really mean?

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

floriferous

Well the story is super sad to begin with.

I think with this upsurge in mindfulness coming to the west, spirituality has been stripped from the practice of meditation and has been marketed to the masses on the basis of scientific backed health benefits only. Sadly this has left people utterly unprepared for anything spiritual that might arise in meditation.

And for years we see examples of spiritual emergence/kundalini/grace being treated from a position of ignorance leading to people being institutionalized and medicated. A number of the so called psychosis symptoms listed in the article have a very kundalini flavor. The spontaneous movements that being kriyas. The light shows behind the eyes that is the common hallmark of kundalini.

Nameless

I completely applaud floriferous' comment. We have forgotten to include the spiritual aspect which is I dare say the most important one of all.
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.

Lumaza

Quote from: floriferous on April 17, 2021, 12:10:17
I think with this upsurge in mindfulness coming to the west, spirituality has been stripped from the practice of meditation and has been marketed to the masses on the basis of scientific backed health benefits only. Sadly this has left people utterly unprepared for anything spiritual that might arise in meditation.
True. the reason $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. As shown in this here quote from that article "The market for meditation products and services in the United States is valued at $1.2 billion". The "Magic Pill" is what today's "now society" is searching for. Most interviews I hear on Radio shows talking about Meditation/OBE's, etc., are marketing something. It's either their book or their website where you can sign up for their seminars". Only the 'rich" need apply though. That's why I like the Pulse and  continue to frequent it still today. We here all volunteer our services ,help, teachings, etc., for free.

The warning in that article is similar similar to the one found in the AUP on this very Forum here. It should be at the top, the header of the Forum. I think it used be. I see it's now buried in the "Welcome to Out of Body Experiences" Sub-forum.
http://www.astralpulse.com/forums/welcome_to_out_of_body_experiences/aup_addendum_must_read-t44677.0.html

Everyone of us can and is capable of learning how to Astral Project. Not all of us should though. I once made this statement here in a thread "" Learning these things has it's positives. But it has it's negatives as well. The more I learn and "know", the farther I grow away from the woman I love. I don't feel like I am growing away, but I can see it in her reactions and attitude towards me now. It tends to desensitize you to things that in life that we should be sensitive to. Just knowing that you are more then your physical body changes your outlook/mindset on life quite a bit. This is why there are many people that start down this road, but can't continue. The physical life fights back and ground them."

To this a good friend of mine and former member/Moderator here replied:
"This! This right here would be my only "warning" to people. It's a hard concept to explain how you grow to be more loving  and compassionate yet you are also less affected by tragedy and sensitive issues. I know longer care about concepts like justice or revenge. I would have no problem with the Hitler's of the world dying and then immediately going to their own heavens without a second of punishment. Why? Because my experiences have taught me to be accepting and nonjudgmental. I've learned lessons in the NP that ten lifetimes of reading religious books couldn't teach me."

So, yes, it is important to understand and be aware of the benefits, but also the implications of this practice before you delve down this road.
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

LightBeam

Quote from: Lumaza on April 17, 2021, 16:47:05
It's a hard concept to explain how you grow to be more loving  and compassionate yet you are also less affected by tragedy and sensitive issues. I know longer care about concepts like justice or revenge. I would have no problem with the Hitler's of the world dying and then immediately going to their own heavens without a second of punishment.

I don't know who said this but I have also found that as much empathy I have, at the same time I understand why challenges NEED to happen and I accept them. New World Order, yes no problem. Virus created on purpose, sure, the masses have agreed on a higher level to experience this. I am realizing that I no longer look and react at life and the happenings from a character 's perspective, but rather from a much higher stand point that sees the entire picture.
"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Lumaza

Quote from: LightBeam on April 17, 2021, 16:57:30
I don't know who said this but I have also found that as much empathy I have, at the same time I understand why challenges NEED to happen and I accept them. New World Order, yes no problem. Virus created on purpose, sure, the masses have agreed on a higher level to experience this. I am realizing that I no longer look and react at life and the happenings from a character 's perspective, but rather from a much higher stand point that sees the entire picture.
That's exactly what I mean when i constantly use the word, as a Title, "Observer". It's like you are putting yourself outside of the situation, looking in. This means that you actually think about your actions before implementing them. You aren't reacting on impulse anymore. You see things in a completely different way then most people do. To many that would show a lack of sympathy or empathy. But that's not the case. It's the opposite. As a Observer you are very aware of those emotions as well. They are enhanced and always present You just seem to exhibit a amazing level of "self-control". That is why it is so valuable in the practice of non physical reality explorations.
"The day science begins to study non-physical phenomena, it will make more progress in one decade than in all the previous centuries of its existence."  Nicolai Tesla

Nameless

It's a stripping away of human emotions. There's good and bad in that, people who don't show or don't often show emotions are labeled as psychopaths. Psychopaths have gotten a bad rap due to the 'evil' some of them do. What is missing is that most psychopaths do very good works. They simply don't (express) those emotions in ways most would recognize.

Everyone has made excellent points and this is a very worthy conversation that I have enjoyed following. But it also makes me sad. Not bad sad just melancholy. Our emotions is the one thing that truly makes us human and I believe quite unique. And without doubt those emotions have enhanced so many of our experiences in the NP.

I also think it is the expression of those emotions that humankind needs to work on most. Like both Lumaza and LightBeam have stated you feel removed but your love has grown so much. It's a contradiction that we here on the forum grasp to varying degrees. And the crux is in trying to explain ourselves to others. Something most of us I think don't even try. The word futility comes to mind.

But taking a look back on the last few years it is clear to me that it is the EXPRESSION of emotions that is dangerous to us all. I think that is the lesson, not that we become less emotional but that we become more controlled in our expression. To do that seems most of us naturally feel the need to step back, observe and let go. Easy to see how that can make us look cold to those still trapped in a world of emotional display.

Like has been stated already in varying ways it IS a mind altering, life changing experience and that part does get ignored. GrumpyRabbit is absolutely correct, these realizations do initially make one feel gutted. Depression appears high on the list as per my own observation. We see this in any type of spiritual practice, np practice, meditation and on and on.

The crux is there is no way of truly explaining this to another till they have been there themselves. But YES, ABSOLUTELY this is critical to recognize and deal with. The medical profession is not equipped to deal with this alone.
What they in the medical field and what we and others do should compliment each other.
Remember, You came here to this physical earth to experience it in its physical form. NPR will always be there.