What do you call it?

Previous topic - Next topic

astraladdict

What would you call all of this? Meditation, astral projection and so on, does it have it's own religion? Or is it just.. free standing?

~astraladdict
My smile tells lies, but my eyes tell the truth...

CFTraveler

Mysticism.  Not the 'mysterious' definition, but the 'looking for inner knowing' definition.
Even if most of you don't like the word, it's the one that covers all of it.

Or, (Forgive me, Mr. Foxworthy)
If you want to experience the greater reality, you must be a mystic.
If you want to focus on your place in the grand scheme of things, you must be a mystic.
If you look for the truth inside of you, you must be a mystic.
Whether you like it or not.

Optic

Sure you could call it whatever you wanted, the Mystical, Spiritual, Enlightening, Religious etc etc...

Although in my opinion it is possible to do such things without calling it anything, the name is just that, a sort of ID tag that conjures up the concept of what it is that you are trying to achieve. You could be a "Mystic" without even calling yourself that, you could be a "Christian" without calling yourself that, likewise you could be a Yogi without calling yourself that.

Remember that if you go deeper into the origins of the word Religion which is the Latin form, then you will run into the word Re-Ligare (Re-Connect or Re-Bond) obviously in the context of spirituality this would point to a reconnecting to our divinity and the Supreme Reality/Absolute, whats interesting is that the word REconnection implies that we were once apart of that (possibly the fall as referring to Eden and prior if you have the Christian background).

It is possible to say that these studies (meditation,astral projection etc) are contained within the main religions Hindu, Christian, Buddhism, Islamic etc but do not themselves have to be classified under a religion, you could be practicing these things yet still have no connection to either religions, thats why I said earlier that you could be a Christian yet not call yourself as such.

I will give you an example, if you see an animal eating food, the animal is obviously eating in order to survive, to live, to the animal, food and surviving/living as words are meaningless, what we call eating is really just an impulse to survive, its a function that takes place within nature that has no name. Likewise you could say that meditation or astral projection is an internal function that we perform that truly has no name.

So to end this long reply (I hope you dont mind my long answer) my opinion is that all these things do not belong to any name, but rather the names are used to distinguish what these things are and what they do, likewise with religion; religions are formed in order to show us that there is a set of processes or steps that we must perform in order to elevate our way of living/reconnect with God/supreme reality/Absolute/Allah and so on.