what is your culture/religion?

Previous topic - Next topic

missym

For everybody who practices AP what is your religion or culture and what is their description/belief of astral projection? I am a native American (Chippewa/Ojibwe) and my culture refers to OBEs as spirit travellers. It is considered a gift in which your spirit can travel to the spirit world, inhabit different bodies and experience different lives. It is seen as a feminine gift; not that only females can do it, but in the sense that spirit and emotion are seen as feminine energies and therefore if a man is practicing spirit travelling he must get in touch with his feminine self.

NO BASHING OF OTHER CULTURES OR RELIGIONS PLEASE! Lets keep this friendly :)
Ok... go!
Bring into play the divine within you, so on the stage of life you can fulfill your high destined role.

Szaxx

Nice post. This subject around 100 years ago was dominated by males. The male to female ratio was far greater than today. It may have been due to the fact that females were told what's what back then. A lot has changed since and a fairer attitude is accepted today.
Im from a nomadic decent going back 500 years. The unit lived in Mongolia and moved across the continent to the Austro Hungarian borders. Stayed in this area for 150 years or so. Then Russia and Europe warred for the various countries that are now present fighting in the border wars. The lands being reclaimed time and time again.
I'm supposed to be related to Genghis Kahn (Im told by the elders). The spiritual side of things being utilised for finding food and information on the whereabouts of the armies of the enemies.
There's far more where the eye can't see.
Close your eyes and open your mind.

roman67

I don't think culture or religion matters in AP. Everybody can experience AP.

missym

I'm well aware of that but every culture and religion has a different word and belief regarding what AP is. And nice szaxx that sounds pretty intense  :-)
Bring into play the divine within you, so on the stage of life you can fulfill your high destined role.

Wi11iam

Quote from: missym on May 08, 2013, 09:53:05
I'm well aware of that but every culture and religion has a different word and belief regarding what AP is. And nice szaxx that sounds pretty intense  :-)

Hi Missym

While I don't 'practice AP' I can say that Culture has had a great affect on my life's experience (up to a point) and am aware that this is so for at least 99% of human beings, if not 100%.

Of course, not all cultures are the same but there are those which have similar threads and to one degree they all share the nature of hierarchal frameworks.

It appears many of the myths might derive from AP experiences.

Culture paints pictures in the human mind and is responsible for an aspect of co-creation in the alternate reality.

Culture is the leading identification signature of individuals.

Religion seems to have been an attempt to unify Cultures and had moderate success.

Often the color of ones skin and traceable heritage also determines which culture one might 'belong' to – even if you as an individual might think otherwise, others will presume that identity upon you.

I was raised the White Protestant Christian Culture but I did not identify with it as something which filled any particular empty space in my psyche - I grew up in a predominantly Maori/Polynesian neighbourhood and again, did not identify with those cultures either.

Think With The Heart - Feel With The Mind

Krishanna

I call it "soul travel" or "mind travel" and I don't have a ""religion" I am a "spiritual being". In public I refer to it as "astral projection" since most people know it as such. I do not believe it favors a gender nor are you gifted, it is available to all. I think people have beliefs or fears that block it from happening. I would say you don't have to even believe in spiritual matters, if you can dream, then you have the ability to project.

missym

Nice --- I don't particularly believe every belief the elders teach me about spirit travel or anything in general really, I choose what suits me best, gives me courage and take that as I go however I do identify with Ojibwe people because of the respect for mother earth and the spirits of the earth. Also because our rituals are very intense and release a lot of energy - sweatlodge ceremonies, shaketent ceremonies, Sundance, vision quests etc
I was more interested mainly in seeing the beliefs of other cultures around the world and how they practice and explain astral projection. Interesting points though.

Wi11iam

Quote from: missym on May 20, 2013, 13:34:12
Nice --- I don't particularly believe every belief the elders teach me about spirit travel or anything in general really, I choose what suits me best, gives me courage and take that as I go however I do identify with Ojibwe people because of the respect for mother earth and the spirits of the earth. Also because our rituals are very intense and release a lot of energy - sweatlodge ceremonies, shaketent ceremonies, Sundance, vision quests etc
I was more interested mainly in seeing the beliefs of other cultures around the world and how they practice and explain astral projection. Interesting points though.

Here is a link into one such story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C4%81ui_(M%C4%81ori_mythology)
Think With The Heart - Feel With The Mind

WindSong

I was brought up as a Christian. Now, I am Agnostic. I guess you could say I'm leaving behind what I was taught, in an effort to find things out for myself.

soarin12

I don't believe fully in the teachings of any religion, but the two faith traditions that have helped to form the person I am today are Word of Faith Christianity and Catholicism (mystical).  Word of Faith Christianity focuses on the teachings of Jesus that say that anything you ask for will manifest if you believe it will.--All things are possible.  My experiences in AP confirm this teaching although AP itself is never specifically mentioned in this faith tradition.  Catholicism focuses on the teachings of Jesus on sacrificial love, forgiveness, and helping the poor, the sick and the lonely. In several of my APs I have experienced the depth of this beautiful love, and it was life changing for me. There are many interesting stories in Catholic mysticism involving AP like experiences such as bi-location and other cool healings and miracles as well.  Fun reading!

Frozen Spirit

I don't have a specific religion persay as I'm still trying find my way, but I do honour multiple gods and goddesses.  I have the belief there is a supreme being that is equal parts male and female.  2 beings in 1 kinda, confusing I know.  And also believe in lesser gods that are an extension of the supreme god and goddess. 

I honestly started my religious journey with Christianity, but something just didn't feel right with it.  For one,  I don't believe a god would condemn an entire species to hell because they are born into sin, and worship and fear of a supreme god are the only way to deter eternal damnationn.  I'm not talking down to Christians,  that's just how I feel.

Mr.Flip

Hi,

I was raised as a Christian under the Nazarene denomination, but the rest of my family on both sides were all Catholic.
Neither of these had a specific pin pointing on Astral Projection and sometimes when the subject would be brought up it would actually be considered more of a Taboo than a gift.

Now there are Many Many stories in the Bible about OBE's like the book of Revelations it is all one big Projection by a prophet who said that God showed him the End of Times. When AP was mentioned most of the time they just ruled it out to be a message or vision from God which is actually not a bad explanation at the time for lack of scientific data or Recordings.
Faith in the Almighty God is really a key factor as to why most christians or catholics would believe that AP is not something holy or good to do, because like I said in the Bible when God would appear or conversate he never really mentioned or told man about AP in full detail (or atleast that is what was recorded because the bible has many authors)
So when something out of the ordinary or "supernatural" would happen to an individual like i stated earlier before because lack of knowledge it would be pretty easy to rule it our to a higher power.

Now as far as Christianity and Catholiscism goes the stories and morals that those institutions gave me have not bad at all.
One of the reasons i dont actively attend church or worship is because looking at the religion and seeing what i could do on a more personal note it left me very limited. So many rules and boundaries on too many things that an individual couldnt explore and find out what is out there and alot of the worship is false and inconvenient, only done out the 'because i have to" attitude.

Now my belief is I am God on my own search to understand why i would want this in the first place but more importantly where i want it to go because it is now.

its just a rough sketch for now but in my heart Every individual has a Choice and your Choice is Free which means no-one and i mean no-one not Jesus, Buddha, Ala, etc. can take that away from you.
You can decide to explore every last bit of space and time to find out what it is you want or u can just live it all blissfuly by being ignorant and just taking it all in.
(!)Spark it up