Religions, Cultures & OBE ???

Previous topic - Next topic

TemperMode

I was hoping for a little help.

I have been trying to find some specific information on religions and cultures that believe in out of body experiences and maybe use them as common practice.

I have been told by a few people that there are areas in India where it is quite common practice, but no one can give me specifics.

I don't want anyone to go to any trouble to research this for me. But if anyone knows any specific information or can point me to some good resources, I would greatly appreciate it.

All I have been able to find out so far, is that perhaps practitioners of Kundalini Yoga teach the belief in the ability to leave your body, but have not been able to find much information on this.

Thanks in advance  :-D.

zorgblar

I heard once that shamans just to do this in the past for many different reasons.

Zante

Taoism. - They pretty much turned it into a science.

SnakeDoctor

searching for buddist temples would be your best bet...at least i imagine it would be.

i know theres a buddist type temple in San Fransico. thought about "Running away" to it...but i can't leave my life behind.

AndrewTheSinger

Search for Ba-birds too, pretty cool.
Where does this silence come from?

The untold past of the Earth: http://hiddenhistory.awardspace.com

urakei

try search for sufism, it has some kind of OBE element in it.

PeacefulWarrior

Greetings everybody! 

My laptop battery is about to die, so I am going to make this quick.  I'll try to come back to this post later to amend this brief response.

From what I've studied, most belief systems that truly put one on "the path" look upon the OBE as an important but NON VITAL experience toward true enlightenment.  In other words, as one attempts to purify himself or herself of evil, darkness, ego, etc. then certain things will happen, one of which is the creation of various bodies, including the astral body in which the being (us!) can explore the astral worlds.  Beyond the astral there are other, higher dimensions and to enter those, other "bodies" or vehicles are generated.  So, you will find information about OBE or spirit travel, but this is not the primary focus of the religion or belief system.

I hope that helps!
We shall not cease from our exploration, and at the end of all our exploring, we shall arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.
T.S. Elliot
---------------
fides quaerens intellectum