News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

John Edward! Fraud or Not? Post opinion!

Previous topic - Next topic

Lasher

quote:
Originally posted by xgoz

Do you think that John Edward is a fraud or not. Easy yes/no or give an explanation too. Thanks, xgoz.

My opinion?  Yes
And that Sylvia Browne makes me want to vomit pea soup ala Regan in The Exorcist.

Lasher

goingslow

I dont think he's a fraud at all.  I really think he's the real deal.  If you really watch his show and the specific stuff he comes up with along with his down to earth style.  Well its that along with just my gut feeling that he's sincere and real.

When you're that high profile though you'll have tons of people who try to debunk you.  Plus in my opinion james van pragh makes the whole thing look bad which sometimes taints him.

I think hes real though.  And im pretty skeptical about stuff.

goingslow

btw I really hate sylvia browne too.. she and van praugh (sp?) in my opinion are really obvious frauds.  I hate her on that montel show too.. "oh you're gonna marry someone but not the guy you're with.. dump him".  thats such crap and abusing what mediumship is supposed to be about.

Lasher

quote:
Originally posted by pmlonline

Yes, I believe John Edwards is for real.  His history with so many people and tests runs so deep that IMHO anyone who studies his past would be foolish to think otherwise.

Well, I cannot say that I've studied his past.  But I have watched him on numerous occasions and he and Sylvia Browne seem to be cut from the same cloth.  Maybe they do have "abilities".  But both of them seem to play manipulative games with people to make the audience perceive far more accuracy than is really occurring.

Edwards throws a ton of stuff against the wall and then hammers on the stuff that sticks while the vast majority of the stuff falls off.  

And I think Browne sometimes actually bullies people into agreeing with what she's saying.  You can see it on their faces.  She acts like it is their fault when she makes a mistake.

I think they are both carney-types preying on suckers.
It's too bad because folks who encounter this kind of stuff may end up thinking it's all bunk.

Lasher

goingslow

Hes nothing like sylvia browne.

Face it if Robert Bruce was in a room saying the exact same things as JOhn edwards many here would say its indesputable he's a real medium.  But since JE is so high profile then suddenly its just luck.  Its too be expected.  This type of "everyone who is well known must be a fraud" but it isnt always true.

these high standards of being exactly right.. which mediums are we comparing them to?

Who are they giving a bad name?  come on mediums you think are real are most likely very inaccurate.  They're just not famous.

Wu

I think hes a fake, first off, by the structure of how it works. He has a room full of people, and obviosly somthing obscure with jump out to *someone*. For example, he will aparently get some sort of "message" from the otherside, like claim he is seeing some small black dog(or any othe obscure thing like that). Then he confusingly looks around trying to pin it to someone, and then goes on to make even more vauge claims, and builds it up, and oftin works up from there. He will make a VAUGE claim, then bend it, kinda change it to fit.

anyone know what I mean? on the other hand he does do private interviews, and how exactly that works I dont know, but the group thing seems really questionable to me...

Also at times, it seems really beliveable and it just makes me wonder how the hell hes doing it, my pairinoid ideas are that he has a earpiece, and a staff that does stuff, hehehe [:P] there have been many scandles like this in the past, and also there have been much much more technology advances such as instant background checks on people, death certificates and such, and a micro ear peice, lol, now im ashamed of this last paragrah, just an idea [:P]

no_leaf_clover

John Edwards isn't faking it. If it was just a matter of luck, or talking about random things and getting hits, there would be tons of John Edwards's. If you watch the show, some of the things he brings up while trying to find a particular person are completely ridiculous, and yet he always finds his person, every single time. Even when they're too shy to raise their hand, he's directed to the general area by the person he's channeling and starts picking people in a certain location and asking them if what he's asking rings a bell. And I'm not talking about the isntances that are like "Have you had washer trouble recently?", etc. There are questions like that that he asks, but even when people reply that they've had washer trouble or whatever recently, he still sometimes turns down that person, feeling that they aren't the one he's looking for. The odds of him hunting and pecking the people so particularly and still giving accurate readings every single time would be hard to duplicate by guessing, etc.... And the show isn't rigged so that he finds out info before the show, so how else would you explain it? I think the show pretty clearly explains itself when it comes on.. John channels the info. I've seen episodes where he going into detail on how he channels, and it coincided a lot with what I've read from Robert Bruce and elsewhere.

quote:
I dont think he's a fraud at all. I really think he's the real deal. If you really watch his show and the specific stuff he comes up with along with his down to earth style. Well its that along with just my gut feeling that he's sincere and real.

When you're that high profile though you'll have tons of people who try to debunk you. Plus in my opinion james van pragh makes the whole thing look bad which sometimes taints him.

I think hes real though. And im pretty skeptical about stuff.

I agree with Goingslow.
What is the sound of no leaves cloving?

curiousgirl

hey people, maybe this book would help:

The Afterlife Experiments : Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death by Gary E. R. Schwartz.

in this book, a scientist actually gathers up a bunch of mediums, INCLUDING JOHN EDWARD, and sticks them in various situations, making sure they don't have access to outside information.  some of the situations they don't even allow the person being read to respond to what's being said by the mediums, or only give yes or no answers.  the medium would be unable to see the person's face (most of the time they had no idea who they were giving a reading to) and would just have to keep throwing information out, without any hints from the person about if they're on the right track or not.  they kept data on the hits and misses of all these mediums, and most of the mediums still had amazingly accurate readings, despite not having anything to go on.  the results pretty much pointed to these people being the real deal, including john edward.  so, try checking the book out from the library sometime, or buy it, and see what you think!  it's pretty interesting... unless the scientist is lying through his teeth, too.

Nay

I have seen John Edward in a seminar and I will be the first to say I believe in him totally!!  He definitely has a gift. We were there for hours before it started...and no one was walking around the crowd digging for info..
All I know is, he said stuff that would be totally impossible for him to know, unless he was hearing it from "the other side"

Sylvia Brown....well, she is very sure of herself..lol.  I have one of her books and she has predictions in it.  She failed on alot... but that is not to say she doesn't have a gift also..IMO it just has gone to her head..simple as that..and once you take a gift like that and abuse it, well..gonna come up short.

Van Praugh...he does more of the throwing of stuff against a wall as Lasher put it, than Edward does..by far!  Out of the three, he is the one I don't believe the most.

Nay. [;)]

shadowatcher

Nay

Hehehehe...

I think that is great picture! Thanks for posting it.[:D]

Nay. [;)]

Links Shadow

Here is a site that I think all of you might be interested in reading through.  There is a section devoted to John Edwards' show and James Von Praagh's show.  It explains how the stuff could be faked.  The site is run by a man who likes to be called Banachek, he was a member of Project Alpha, a series of tests by MIT researchers to see if Banachek and several other people who claimed to be telekinetic were in fact capable of doing what they claimed.  The men being tested were nothing more than stage magicians and they fooled MIT researchers into believing that telekinesis was in fact possible.  The site is an interesting read, and fits well into this topic.

Respectfully,
Link's Shadow

T_Kman0610

i hate john edward, i feel he is an emberassment to all psychics, in my oppinion, i feel that i have to know why any dead person would want to contact john edward? i sure wouldnt! this guy uses cold reading iv heard its a way of faking the channeling and contact, all they have to do is say a letter or a name and wait for someone to say somethin, than he says the dead person wants to say something about the money which is always brought up after a death accurs and also he says any topics that can be said from the audience, its really smart but its cheating so hes a fake in my oppinion! FRAUD! hes lying to the audience! hes a descrase![}:)]
"Only those who have dared to let go can dare to reenter." - Meister Eckhart

goingslow

you can acuse any medium of "cold reading".  Yes the "amazing Randy" also does that.. Its so comical to see the readings people do when trying to prove mediums are fake.  they're more like vaugn pragh..

I think you should calm down a little.. no reason to hate someone just cus they're high profile.  I think a lot of this has to do with the belief if a person is real they wouldnt profit.  I think that is a lot of crap personally.  But thats another debate.

Its funny because they'll pick at things that could possibly be a cold reading and say see.  But the many where there are no techniques at all where he could have possibly come up with the stuff they dismiss it.

But he makes money and is high profile.  He must be bad.  Please look at debunking sites and think for yourself.  Think there aren't sites that debunk anything paranormal with their little arguments about what's really happening?  

Mediumship by its very nature can be argued its all cold reading.  I get sick of phrases too that are overused and people really dont know what they mean.

MJ-12

Yeah yeah yeah, cold reading, faking, microphones, whatever.

If any of those pseudo-skeptics out there can do a cold reading ON THE AIR as successfully as John Edward, then I'll believe that what Edward does is fake. Just because some guy with a website suggests possible ways that it COULD be fake, doesn't mean that it IS fake. What BS.

Some people just have problems accepting reality and they aren't the ones watching Edward's show.

What John Edward does is legit, but its not the be-all end-all of ADC and the show likely edits it to make him appear more accurate than he really is. What Sylvia Browne does may or may not be legit, but I don't think her "guide" is all that advanced even if it is.

Nay

I agree with Goingslow... Why such so much hostility?  You seem almost jealous..
I believe there are alot of so called mediums running loose in the world, taking well earned money from ppl.  But John Edward is not one of them.  The tickets that I purchased for his seminar were only $45.00..I was surprised they were so low.  Sylvia Brown is coming to my city this month and her tickets go for $145.00..I would NOT pay that much...lol.

I am actually quite surprised that more ppl do not believe that JE can speak to the dead...isn't that what Robert Bruce, Robert Monroe and even our beloved Ginny, do?  It is just in another form is all.  

I guess the fact that I grew up in a family with a father whom is a medium and myself have grown use to seeing the odd figure from time to time, and have been pushed, my hair stroked, my back rubbed..well, helps me understand JE and how it cannot be "cold reads"...

ahhhh..as I was typing this I see MJ-12 has said another thing I agree with..lol..thanks MJ-12!...

Nay. [;)]

Wu

Indeed, John's motives dont seem to be money, if you recently seen him on the jimmy kimmel show, he spoke of sticking to his fixed ammount for private interviews, which was somthing like a hundred bucks, or a couple hundred or somthing. Also there is a waiting list, and aparently NO ammount of money can get you a differnt spot on the waiting list.

As for the people that claim its the truth, period. probly need a litle bit more skepticism [:P]

I will admit that there are ALOT of geniunly belivable moments, but how long are these shows? As anyone would know most all television shows are edited, thats another aspect of it...

I wonder if there are long moments where hes just shooting in the dark for a looong time?

Jenadots

I vote phony.  Watched a few times, then stopped.

In a room full of people, all of whom you know have a dead loved one they would like to hear from, with a gift of BS, it would be easy to find someone who fits the I am getting...fill in the blank.

But - he is the smartest man in the world as he show has made a few million.  Obviously smarter than me.  

At least Browne helps find lost people once in a while and does more than answer boyfriend questions or deceased persons questions.  

I think what I find most amusing about all these shows, is how happy everyone always is in the afterlife.  I always wonder why they never say they are suffering terribly for what they did.  

So what do you think happens to the real SOBs and SOB-ettes after they die?[;)]

travelinbob

I'd like to see some raw footage of his show. No editing or maybe go to his show myself to make up my mind. He's pretty good, but so is David Blane and he is an illusionist. But I'd give John the benefit of the doubt and say he is for real.

Adrian

Greetings,

I don't know about John Edward, (haven't heard of him before or Sylvia Browne), but I suspect they are the same as the average "TV psychic".

I saw an interesting documentary on British TV about psychics. I would not presume to say whether they are genuine or not because I simply do not know, but their entire "performance" was highly suspicious to say the least.

Most of them would only perform before a large audience after being "made up" to look the part. They all seemed much more like entertainers than psychics, more interested in money and audience applause.

By far the most suspicious thing was almost all of them refused to do a one on one reading - they would only perform before an audience where they could play the laws of average. They seemed to seize upon any member of the audience who could verify what he claimed to be receiving. For example "I am getting someone who knows someone here called Dave". Of course when Dave indicates his presence, the psychic asks Dave questions and responds accordingly.

One TV psychic did agree to a one on one reading and got almost everything wrong, no better or perhaps even worse than the laws of average.

As I said, I really could not say whether these people are genuine or not never having met them. However, the sad thing is that it is very often recently bereaved people who seek and pay for the services of a psychic, and it is these people who are the most vulnerable. I really do hope that these psychics are genuine and not merely taking advantage of vulnerable people, otherwise there will be a karmic price to pay.

With best regards,

Adrian.
https://ourultimatereality.com/
Vincit Omnia Veritas

Nay

quote:
In a room full of people, all of whom you know have a dead loved one they would like to hear from, with a gift of BS, it would be easy to find someone who fits the I am getting...fill in the blank.
Well, if you have watched the show then you would see that he just doesn't stand there and say.."ummm, yes..I feel a mother figure coming thru".. He always says I am right here..in this row, he is very specific!  I watched one day where he kept saying that he was in the back row..but nothing was making any sense to those ppl.  Then one of the, I think  camera men said that there was a parking deck on the other side of that wall.  Well, someone went over there and found a parking attendent...and EVERYTHING JE had said was right on the money!.. hehhehe ohhhhh, the look on that man's face was priceless! NO WAY, that was not set up.

quote:
At least Browne helps find lost people once in a while and does more than answer boyfriend questions or deceased persons questions.
JE has also worked with the police on several occasions and has helped in finding bodies and what not.

quote:
I think what I find most amusing about all these shows, is how happy everyone always is in the afterlife. I always wonder why they never say they are suffering terribly for what they did.

Once again, if you would have watched the show more than once, you would have heard PLENTY..!  Lots of them are working thru what they have made for themselves.

Nay. [;)]

Adrian

Greetings Nay,

quote:
Originally posted by Nay

I am actually quite surprised that more ppl do not believe that JE can speak to the dead...isn't that what Robert Bruce, Robert Monroe and even our beloved Ginny, do?  It is just in another form is all.  

Yes, there are many genuine psychics about who can communicate with people in the Astral. The main difference is that most of those I know would never, ever perform before an audience for money, and in fact most of them do not even charge any money - they do it as a service to humanity just as healers and others do.

People with genuine psychic abilities should also be Spiritually aware; almost by definition. Genuinely Spiritually aware people do not usually become paid stage performers before large, often TV audiences. They are rather usually very humble people who selflessly offer the benefit of their abilities to people in need without charge.

With best regards,

Adrian.
https://ourultimatereality.com/
Vincit Omnia Veritas

curiousgirl

like i said, perhaps if you really want another point of view on the whole thing besides the skeptics, you should read:

The Afterlife Experiments : Breakthrough Scientific Evidence of Life After Death by Gary E. R. Schwartz.

an actual scientist applied scientific methods to study these various mediums, one of them being john edward, and they were actually put in situations where they were unable to give "cold readings".  they were not told who they were giving a reading to, unable to see the person's face, and in one experiment, were only given Yes or No answers by the person being read, and in another experiment, the mediums were given no responses by the person being read... just plain silence.  they were still amazingly accurate in their readings, even john edward.

"The main difference is that most of those I know would never, ever perform before an audience for money, and in fact most of them do not even charge any money - they do it as a service to humanity just as healers and others do.  People with genuine psychic abilities should also be Spiritually aware; almost by definition. Genuinely Spiritually aware people do not usually become paid stage performers before large, often TV audiences. They are rather usually very humble people who selflessly offer the benefit of their abilities to people in need without charge."

i don't know much about these abilities, but perhaps just because someone is more sensitive than the rest of us, or has more developed abilities than the rest of us, doesn't make them more spiritually advanced or anything.  i mean, just because someone is born with better drawing skills than the rest of us doesn't mean they are going to be better artists.  human beings are human beings, and can make mistakes no matter how spiritually advanced they are.  and there might always be an abuse of powers.  besides, perhaps these people deserve some sort of compensation for the amount of time they give out of their own lives to help us with ours.  i mean, mediums have their own lives to live, and i'm sure that sometimes they get tired of helping everyone (especially when they have hundreds, thousands of people clamoring for their services), when they may have problems of their own, or want to just simply have time to enjoy life.  if we don't want to have to give them something in return for their help, then well, i guess we have to work on developing our own skills, since these are abilities that are inherent in all human beings.

goingslow

quote:
Originally posted by Adrian

Greetings Nay,

quote:
Originally posted by Nay

with people in the Astral. The main difference is that most of those I know would never, ever perform before an audience for money, and in fact most of them do not even charge any money - they do it as a service to humanity just as healers and others do.

People with genuine psychic abilities should also be Spiritually aware; almost by definition. Genuinely Spiritually aware people do not usually become paid stage performers before large, often TV audiences. They are rather usually very humble people who selflessly offer the benefit of their abilities to people in need without charge.

With best regards,

Adrian.

One thing I find fascinating about you adrian is your ability to tell everyone who is and who isn't spiritually aware.  what exactly are the prerequisites not for being spiritually aware yourself but to judge exactly how advanced another person is.

They must do a different job as their main one and use their psychic abilities to help and make no money.  I paid a good amount for Astral Dynamics.  But of course I dont judge by those standards.

Your posts are filled with judgements on other people's spirituality.  Ever notice that?

goingslow

BTW on his television show he doesn't charge money so he isn't doing it in front of a group for money.

He does do seminars which cost money.  I forgot.. the seminar RB is doing.. free?

Its so easy to point the finger at other people and their lack of spirituality.  I thought these talents were natural.  What Im a little cautious of is people who always equate these supposedly natural talents with being a divine person.  Flawless and spiritual. where's the practice in all this?