Musical creation theory ( philisophical observation )

Previous topic - Next topic

experimental

point being :

when improviseing in a style of music like  " funk fusion " or funk& jazz orrientational music " in some cases  "  " while you are improviseing and allowing your mind to drift with playing ability  within random ideas( as in experimenting to find tunes )  , you suddenly become aware that you are " createing tunes ,  you are finding ideas on a instrument , to lock in and remember ,  This process is like useing your imaginitive side to explore  and search and find melodies without prior knoledge or influence by other musicains ideas or songs .

I had this philosphy or idea if you like , that if you are nt playing a tune from what someone else wrote , or from somthing academical that you are reading or being influenced by , then where is it coming from  ,somthing you v tapped in to to get access to the  creativity , to be able to write tunes from nowhere , or dropp melodies that you did nt think   you could of known . It lead me to a metaphysical link ?

Maybe in some cases , its actually possible that the mind  actually links to some type of universal conscuiosness  as like elements in psychic phenomina , mediums , clairvoyants , ect, ect , , certain musicain types links simular when finding tunes on instruments .

Maybe that sounds farr out  to some poeple , but when theorizeing and looking at possibilities , its best to cover all angles .

regards   experimental

; D

daidaluz

It is said that everything in music already exist. Nothing is new, we just combine what's there and create different variations.  It is just an instrument that manifest what we have inside.

What we manifest trough music  has to do with our own inner world.

Ben K

Hmmm...interesting topic. I play guitar(pretty good at it too), mostly jam band type stuff, which means alot of improvising. I find i actually play best when my mind is not on actually playing!

For example, Il be sitting on the computer browsing the net, and strumming my acoustic. Il start to read something, and then all of a sudden hear that I have been playing this really cool tune on my guitar.

Also, does anyone else notice that you tend to actually do some things better with less concentration? Another example would be when i was little, I would play gameboy, or super nintendo or whatever, and maybe I would be just sittin around with some friends or whatever, and my mom would walk in. While I was talking I would sort of be half paying attention to the game, half paying attention to my mom. But i noticed I would really be playing the game better while i wasnt completely focused on it!

Like i said, this certainly has some strong corralation with the whole "Mind Awake/Body Asleep" thing, which is focusing our attention away from our physical.

Ben
EXPERIENCE IS KNOWLEDGE

stephen~

I learnt guitar watching TV. I always like to say that, but it is true. What I mean is during those frustrating early months when I wanted to chuck the thing out of the window practising the same things over and over I found that if I switched off and turned the TV on that I picked it up pretty quickly without realising. I'd watch and play, but not really notice but really make progress. Generally when I am here on the net I have my acoustic guitar on my lap, or within arms length.

I also think that music and art in general really is 'out there somewhere'. One of the pleasures of astral projection and lucid dreaming is to pick up on what you experience and try to take it back. Perhaps it is no surprise that both John Lennon and Paul McCartney have claimed to have come up with songs from associations with sleeptime. Yesterday in the case of McCartney, who woke up with the tune in his head, and Across the Universe from Lennon, who couldn't sleep with the words  going round his head.

Euphoric Sunrise

I think it's important to note there than even when improvising, where you may not consciously be creating sounds influenced by other artists, the ideas from said artists may still be filtering through on some subconscious level.
It's not uncommon for musicians to be playing around on their instruments and fall into a trap of playing a riff or melody they have heard recently from another artists, or something from one of their own compositions.

Having said, sure i think it could be possible that during improvisation one could enter some sort of trance state where they are using their instrument as a conduit for their own feelings or energy from a higher plane somewhere. The way i write music could even suggest that this sometimes does happen when i'm trying to come up with something.

Speaking of music being associated with sleep though, how frustrating is it when you're dreaming and you come up with a really cool solo (for me it's usually solos) or melody or something and then you wake up and you can't remember it! BAH!  :evil: I'm sure i'm not the only one who gets this :P
"The soul is never silent, but wordless"
* Emperor - The Tongue of Fire

Greenrat

yeh i play too and have noticed the same thing,  playing stuff by other people is ok to learn,  but it eventually comes down to what you can channel from your own mind, into the instrument-
and yeh all the best stuff comes without trying, when you try and play guitar, it means you want what you play to be a certain style or sound, so there you have instant restrictions on what comes out.

Its when we stop trying and flow with it,  emptying the mind and going into the "zone" -  the zone  is just the musical equivalent of zen.
Thats why its bad for bands to want to be a certain type of band , like punk or indie, because they instantly limit the band and individual musical potential.
split your awareness between your heart and head.

Spite

I just started playing bass recently and I've been studying chords, notes, and rythms extensively. I've actually realized that the bass and guitar use a 8 octave system which sets up the fret board in a supreme fashion.

I've read that mathmatics is a strong universal code and guitars, especially bass, are perfection mathmatically having a perfect 8 ( 8 is representation of infinity ) octave setup where you can easily note hop to decide what would sound best from your mind, heart, and soul.

- Just a side note, don't think of this mathmatics as something taught to you in school. Its more of a energy, a feeling, if you play music you know that feeling of hitting a good sound and just wailing it out until your soul is satisfied. Its just like finally accomplishing that super hard math problem in your head and not needing any help. -

I've been thinking about this alot and I've come to realize that music is a great connector to the soul and can lead people to realize the inifinity with musical chords.

This mathmatics, I believe, is why some bands can actually make "good" music but not be a good band. They've stumbled into a unique code which may have been needed to be projected to certain souls for direction to the infinity.

Is this a connection that anyone could of stumbled on? I believe so, but the way we configured our souls is to a different tune and different mathmatical code to connect the infinity in our own way. The artistic value of improv could actually be considered a higher form of mathmatical code, lets say a calculus instead of algebra. Some people internally cannot and will not be able to learn a calculus routine, and some people will accel in algebra but never understand a lick of calc.

Have you ever thought about it? I bet all your closest friends have the same taste in music that you do. And the people you like to meet almost always are interested in the same music more often then not. And you can probably communicate with those people better then others, even when you don't know they like that certain music.

This is just a theory I've come across and it seems to be true in every fashion. I love that this came up because I would really love to hear others opinions on this topic.

sellerofpurple

Quote from: daidaluzIt is said that everything in music already exist. Nothing is new, we just combine what's there and create different variations.  It is just an instrument that manifest what we have inside.

In all honesty this would have to be a 'technical' truth
There is a limited amount of pitches, octaves, tunes, melodies, beats, etc.
It is a kind of arithmetic-I say this lightly because I am sure that will irritate some enthusiast- But just as there is a limit of colors, a limit of noises, a limit of frequencies, a limit of spaces to fill, a limit of sound waves to cue in, there will be a limit of variations to those things.
However, to our knowledge they are only limited humanly, because of our hearing and visual capacities. [or lack there of]
We are Legion for we are many.

Welcome to Astral Fad dot com

astraljazz

I absolutely agree with you.  There are limits in music.  But, within those limits are nearly infinite combinations.  Wich makes music sound fresh and new.  Which I think is a big part of why us musicians exist.  The love of progressive creativity keeps music alive.

BoscosFriend

i disagree, there are no limits with music. there may limitations if you allow yourself to be limited. is there a set way to play an instrument? i been playing music for years. guitar,drums,keyboards,bass, sitar. experimenting with sounds. anything can be music anything can be an instrument. you can bang two rocks together and shout and it can be a song. me and my friend do music, we  used a blow dryer in a song, along with pots, and toys. your only limited by your imagination. or if you think that your only a musician if you play your instrument by the set standard.

James S

"your only limited by your imagination. "
That's how I see it. The actual notes being played are only one of many dimensions in music. Take two melodies that are the same, change the beat and change the timbre of the sound and you get you get something new.

I run a keyboard into my PC and compose music using PC studio software. With that I have an entire array of virtual synths, and I can sit here for hours tweaking sounds, adding layers, adding effects, until I've got a sound thats multidimensional in itself. Grab an old tune, play it using that sound, add a bit of drum & bass to it, it's all new again.

As to part of the original point of this topic, I hear music coming from within me, sometimes through the day, more often while I'm going to sleep. It's not just simple notes, it's entire orchestrations - all the sounds, the drum & base lines, percussion, the lot. It's like I've got a whole bunch of muso's and a 32 channel mixing desk in my head. They're always pieces of music I've never heard before. It's so bizzare!

Somtimes I wish I could stick a recorder up to my head when it happens because I rarely ever remember the actual tune.

:)
James.

Ben K

I agree with James. If you want to say that all music is created already and we are channeling it, then you would have to say the same for reality itself. Ive heard alot about the fictional worlds thing and it really strikes me. I believe thoughts are not "creations" but a form of communication- a channeling of sorts. Every concept about not only music but EVERY FACET OF REALITY is merely "channeled" by the individual. Music is simply a microcosm of this- and like reality there are literally an infinite number of sounds, pitches, effects etc that are only limited, again, by your imagination.
EXPERIENCE IS KNOWLEDGE