News:

Welcome to the Astral Pulse 2.0!

If you're looking for your Journal, I've created a central sub forum for them here: https://www.astralpulse.com/forums/dream-and-projection-journals/

I've reached my limit...Enough is enough...

Previous topic - Next topic

fireprooflighter

THANK YOU SQUEEK!!!

All the "wants" being spelled wan't was driving me crazy...

jc84corvette

quote:
Originally posted by General-Army

typing without using proper english is much quiker. Id rather be able to talk to someone online in a few seconds rather then a few minutes. Its trying to send the person the message as quik as possible and try to make it almost as quik as actualy speaking to the person. Also, theres really no reason for proper english online, maybe when talking to strangers or to people who are in higher rank then you such as bosses and teachers, but not when talking to friends or joking around. Or even when the on the internet, all that matters is the point gets across.

Thank you! I was about to say that very same thing! People read what the General said! It makes a lot of sense.

Ybom

Can we all just learn Dutton Speedwords? [:D]

I mean reducing English words down to a single syllable in most cases would fix both ends of the spectrum; almost to a point of not needing acronyms anymore!

Anyone up for this, or at least a language section somewhere on here?
I come prepared...with COOKIES! No, you can't have one!

Nagual

A classic: [;)]

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht frist and lsat ltteer is at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
If electricity comes from electrons, does morality come from morons?

skymageinfinity

if inglish waznt sutsh a stewpid langwidge evry won wud spel it ryt

"[Truth is] the offspring of silence and unbroken meditation." -Isaac Newton

clandestino

general army :

quote:
Or even when the on the internet, all that matters is the point gets across.

This is precisely why people should spend time thinking about what they write on a forum. It is NOT a "chat room".

Why should I bother reading someone's post if its clear that they put no thought into it ?

If you post a topic or a response and you wish to get your point across quickly, or by using ridiculous acronyms, then there's a good chance that
a) people won't understand your point fully, or
b) people will just ignore your point.

Back in the "good old days", 99% of posts on this site were quality contributions ! ah....those were the days...
I'll Name You The Flame That Cries

beavis

clandestino Why should I bother reading someone's post if its clear that they put no thought into it ?

They put no thought into english grammar and syntax, but thats not what you're looking for. You are here to get the content of the post. Would you think I was stupid if I said: I like to eat at Wendys restaurants, but I refuse to go through their drivethrough because their parking lot does not conform to federal standards, even though I still know how to use it.

Jeff_Mash

The way I look at it is this.  I was forced to take English classes all through High School, and I'll be damned if I went through that hell for nothing!  

To learn all the rules of English and then purposely tinkle on them is like being forced to drive a car and then steering it off a cliff.
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
http://www.mjmmagic.com

beavis

Jeff, that argument doesnt hold up if you dont like what they taught you, like if it was an anal sex class.

Squeek

No beavis, that's almost perfect.  It's the other stuff that makes me cringe.

You used capitalization and near-perfect punctuation.  Only one word is spelled incorrectly, and it's just a hyphenated error.  All of the commonly-confused English words are written correctly.  It has meaning to it as well, as it states the reason you don't go to the parking lots at Wendy's Restaurants.  If there were a topic concerning this, it would fit in quite rightly.

Did it honestly take you longer to type it out the "right" way?

Rodentmouse... it's not arrogance if it is simply a statement of the truth.  I put online the things I want people to know about me, but the rest is a mystery.  I didn't want to come off as arrogant, I wanted to lead the reader into the depths of my biggest annoyance.  If I just opened the topic with "LEARN TO SPELL!"  Nobody would be posting here with positive comments.

And I appreciate the people taking the time to "fix" my posts. [:)]  Like I said, nobody's perfect.

~Squeek

PS - James, thanks for locking that topic.

Mustardseed

Dear Squeek
I put a post down earlier that you did not acknowledge (I thought it was funny but then again my kids rarely laugh at my jokes [;)]). It was intended to lighten up this subject and your own view of yourself. Since you did not think it was funny I will explain my point in plain english.

I totally understand your feelings and agree that people should try to write and spell according to the rules of the alphabet.

However maybe you and all you others who have posted need to ask yourself why you are allowing this to bother you so much. It is said that you can tell a lot about a person by the things that bother him or her.!!!! At your age I would recommend that you practice not getting bothered by little idiosyncrasies like that. Mention it by all means but if people still do it....ignore it. Be a sample yourself and maybe you will rub off on someone.

You cannot legislate righteousness, and if you at your age allow yourself to get so worked up over trivial matters like that, then I have a few suggestions that you should carefully consider.

1.Dont ever get married, she will drive you nuts, I know it becourse people are wierd and do irritating things.

2.Dont ever have kids. They do annoying things all the time too.

3.It is too late to tell you not to have parents, (that would mean dont get born) but an alternative might be .....become a hermit, that way you would only have to contend with ...yourself. [:)]

Now you might say that this is extreme and ....it is , but this is only the beginning of irritating things in life that you can do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT. Just you wait there will be more , a whole life full of it, and you will have the chance to continue to be bothered irritated worked up, or simply learn to rise above and let it roll off, like water on a duck.

Just a little advice.

Regards Mustardseed

Words.....there was a time when I believed in words!

Phanuel

Squeek... I too prefer people to keep their bastardizations of language to a minimum, however, there are so many other sides to language that you're missing out on.

On of the great things about language is that its essentially a dead thing.  What we call speach and language are just symbols for abstract thoughts and feelings that are coming from within ourselves.  And yet, language is alive because it comes from the living.  It evolves and changes to suit its function.  Here on the internet people are existing in a totally new culture.  You will meet people from many different areas of the world and hallelujah.  With all of these languages and cultures colliding new ways of communicating arise.  The internet has a burgeoning language of its own where u=you and b=be and h8=hate.  

I think that instead of seeing this as defacing the English language you should see the creativity behind it and the life of communication.

Although, I have to agree I think some of it is irritating as well.  Especially when no abbreviation is meant and what is being displayed is mere ignorance of the language.  However, when abbreviated sentences and words are used in a creative and efficient manner, I can really dig it.
"Luminous beings are we.  Not this crude matter."

Jeff_Mash

quote:
Originally posted by beavis

Jeff, that argument doesnt hold up if you dont like what they taught you, like if it was an anal sex class.

Beavis, my arguement DOES hold up, if you keep it in context.  To use your example, if I was forced to go through an anal sex class all through high school, even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't come to an online sexuality forum for anal sex and post about other positions.  

Errrrr......what the hell were we talking about?
Keep smiling,

Jeff Mash
http://www.mjmmagic.com

The AlphaOmega

Very interesting how there are so many mispellings and grammar problems in your own writings.  Not everyone in here is an english major, and for the most part no one gives a damn.  I suggest sucking it up and continue to pull your hair out, because it will never change!
"Discover your own path to enlightenment with diligence".
              - Buddha

jc84corvette

1 7|-|1|\||{ $¶33|{ $|-|0µ£Ð $|-|µ7 1$ |\/|0µ7|-| 4ß0µ7 7|-|1$ 70p1(. 17 1$ 4 \/\/4$73 0ƒ 4|° |-|4®Ð Ю1\/3 $p4(3!! [:(!]   Desipher that! I use that daily! The language of course.

Nay

I am really surprised I could make out most of that..wow!  I won't tell, so as not to ruin it for others

Nay [;)]

PyroPsion69

quote:
Originally posted by jc84corvette

1 7|-|1|\||{ $¶33|{ $|-|0µ£Ð $|-|µ7 1$ |\/|0µ7|-| 4ß0µ7 7|-|1$ 70p1(. 17 1$ 4 \/\/4$73 0ƒ 4|° |-|4®Ð Ю1\/3 $p4(3!! [:(!]

My sentiments exactly. Thats why I think we should all get off our lazy asses and figure out how to mass integrate telepathy so we will never have to use keyboards or mobile phones ever again! But in the mean time I still think typing skills is a reflection of intelligence levels.

jc84corvette

Well I do not type that 24/7. Thats how I type when I chat w/ some friends.

Amulet

I have seen this same basic post on other forums as well.

I doubt that at any time in history the average person had perfect language skills. To expect that it is going to happen now, or to allow it to drive you crazy is to be at odds with reality.

I care about what people say, not how they get their point across. I am not their mother, their teacher , or any better because I can spell most of the time. They are not here to live up to my expectations.

I think the basic thrust of all such posts is , "Will you people get with the program and do things the correct way, - MY WAY !!"

No. No they won't. Not ever. They are people and that is the nature of the beast.

I think all you can do is start teaching grammar classes in your area.

Leyla

The thing that struck me about this post was the inordinante amount of anger, hostility and frustration. It seems really unhealthy.

Rage like that should be reserved for things like : war, injustice, poverty, crime, and so forth. Not grammer.

That's how I know it's a red herring. What's going on in your life that's making you "angrier every day" Squeek? Because it isn't spelling.

The mind plays this little game: when something upsets us and we feel powerless to confront it, the mind uses a diversionary tactic and focuses all that unvented anger somewhere else.

A psychological "kick the dog" if you will.

You need to sit down and think about what's really making you so mad. Get to the root of this problem so you can focus you anger where it really belongs. Maybe you can't fix the problem, but you can at least confront it. When you do that you'll notice yourself caring a whole lot less about other peoples grammer.

Syke

I must say I can get annoyed at people who misspell words such as there/their/theyre.

For instance... I have a friend who constantly uses "were" instead of "where" and that there/their/theyre thing. He wrote a story type thing the other day and it was FULL of disgusting grammar and spelling, so I just told him to send it to me or another friend to fix it before sending it to everyone else.

But you can't get angry at people who aren't geniuses.
I personally keep a dictionary on the computer desk, so incase I'm not sure of a word i can get it. Also, if I don't have a dictionary handy I'd open up microsoft word and type it in there first to get the correct spelling.
Others can't be bothered going through all that.

But as James' signiture says: "In life you have two choices - to be right, or to be happy."

This is one of very few times that I've used capitalisation and complete punctuation in online forums.
-Syke

Squeek

Truth be known, this only bothers me because I see it as a lack of care amongst those who do such things.  This lack of care stemmed from their lack of care for the education system, and so the proper forms of English are lost upon them.

For some reason I have always been a stickler for this type of thing.  I don't know why.  When I was in elementary school I had the school record for winning the most spelling bees in my 5 years there. (I won 3, went on to districts... They were supposed to give me a plaque.  They lied.)  My spelling / grammar / vocabulary has always scored me easy A's in English all throughout my time in school.

My first statement still comes into play here Leyla.  I shouldn't care so much, but I do.

I overly-exaggerated the fact that I get angry about this.  Sorry about that.  It just bothers me to see these kids not getting the most out of their education, that's all.

Mustard - I read your post but didn't quite understand what you were talking about at first.  I don't intend to make a new language to adapt here.  To answer your non-interrogative questions, I don't plan on marrying, having children, or even entering the dating world in general.  Sad, but true.

Corvette - That's leet.  That's not English, it is just a derivative.  Hackers use such language to avoid being traced.  Now everybody knows about it, thus making it devoid of its privacy.

One reason I don't like this whole situation is it forces me to stoop to the level of these people in order to get my message across.  I want to be able to use the vocabulary I know without the other person having to look up the words I say on dictionary.com or something.

If I were so inclined to post an eloquent statement, I would leap at said opportunity.  Blah.

I'm not angry. I don't stress out about this.  Just let me enjoy my pizza. [|)]

~Squeek

eeb

Frustrated FT. You´re frustrated.

Is that what you care about? Like there aren´t other things to care about.

What matters is that people get to the point that they express themselves in the way they like.

Who cares about a few spelling errors if someone is eagerly typing a post, and in his or her enthusiasm misspells a few...
Consistent desire and intent are the key to change

Flummox

Hi!

I´m a bit surprised really. I really dont know what to say. This feels kinda like a punch in the stomach.

You see, I´m from Sweden. And it´s almost impossible for me to get everything "right".

I´m actually a bit saddened by this post.

Flummox.