Does astral projection feel "real?"

Previous topic - Next topic

Thanatos5

I have a question that I hope both novice and veteran astral projectors can help in answering. Now, when your in the astral dimension, what does it feel like? More specifically, is the experience of being in this reality feel like normal, waking reality? Does it feel MORE than that? Does it feel just all like a dream? I want to know because soon I too will be going into the astral for the first time (consciously that is) and I want to know before I make that "leap" into it. Thank you.
"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -Albert Einstein

beavis

Months ago... I got out of bed, asked myself am I dreaming, thought about it for 10 seconds, and decided I wasnt dreaming. I used the bathroom and went back to bed. Later that night, I woke up again. It was very dark. I went to turn on the light switch, but the light didnt turn on. 2 white lights gradually brightened from my hands. The lights didnt brighten what they shined on right away. There was a half second delay on the lights wherever I pointed them, which looks REALLY weird. Wait a minute... I'm not awake! And I wasnt awake the last time I got up either! I walked through the house and levitated a foot-wide drink can, but couldnt move any of the things that were really there, like floor and chairs, except I thought I opened the doors to go through them. Must have been an illusion my brain made up to explain me moving through the house. A white light like the one still coming from my hands starts coming from between my eyes. It was about half as bright as looking at the sun. I tried to wake people up by shining it in their faces, but couldnt.

Other times its really blurry or without much visuals and feels really fake, but I sometimes see things like the clock when that happens so I know I was there.

Missy

I've only been out completely a couple of times and they were pretty short, but it felt very real in the sense that you were aware of everything, but as it goes on it's almost impossible for me to concentrate. It's always pretty quiet and creepy for me, also. Like, deserted.

coral1

Hi Thanatos5

I agree with Major Tom.My experiences run the gamut from being extremely real-like waking consciousness-to dreamlike. One aspect that pervades all my projections is a sense of " Otherness". I`m always very aware of being in a different reality.

Happy Trails
coral1

markulous

Sometimes I will come out of an OBE and it will be kind of hazy but I will just be thinking/saying "clarity now" and eventually I will be able to see perfectly.  Other than that it seems pretty real when I am there, but when your finished it downloads to your brain the same as a dream, so its kinda tricky.

Thanatos5

(Responding to markulous)
So let me get this straight, the experience during it can seem real or dreamlike, but when your back in your physical body, your memories of it are dreamlike?? I'm confused myself, but thanks for the reply anyway :)
"Science without religion is lame; religion without science is blind." -Albert Einstein

markulous

Yeah pretty much.  I remember my first OBE I was thinking to myself, wow this is so real.  Then when I returned it seemed kind of dreamy.  I know it's kind of confusing, I can't even explain it without getting confused.  It's like I could have an OBE an be in my living room, and two minutes from then(after I came back to my body) and I could go to my living room but instead of it seeming like you were just there it seems distant.  I hope that makes sense!

manuel

Interesting question there, first of all, what is waking reality? obviously its what we are all seeing and experiencing now, the state called beta state,  most of our times we spend it to some extent, day dreaming, we get up in the morning, do our thing, than go back to bed at night, or so it goes. It feels quiet real doesn't it? the keyboard feels real, the chair I sit on feels real, it all feels and looks very real, just as a magicians tricks seem real.

To answer your question, is it like waking reality? some will say yes, but I will say no, the reason why many whom have experienced such phenomena say its like waking reality, is that one still has that logical and creative parts of there mind there, one can make full choices, make judgment's, make jokes even, its all there.

How ever there is one element that cannot be described with mere words when one is out of body, phasing, astral projecting or what ever. There is a sheer magic that goes beyond words, a sheer knowing, here you are, floating out side your home,  a relatively mundane every day place, yet there is this sheerness that just clicks, you know you are out of your body, its so magic...one must experience it, to know this feeling, its incredible.

To answer a question in a way, about falling into a dream while out of body, the very same thing happens when you are in body, daydreaming, ever daydreamed and lost track of where you where, you lost track of even your out side environment, I've done the same while out of body, I daydreamed on purpose and fell into a dream pool, i quickly pulled my self out and that was that, so keep them thoughts in strict check.

jason

I find that my conciousness feels different-more "smooth",and focused;w/out the usual mental chatter of the physical.

The reality itself can be anything from bizarre,yet real enough to know that you aren't in a dream or physical reality,to seeming to be so physical that you don't know whether you are physical or not-until you pass through a wall or window,or fly into the sky.
The musical conciousness is mind beneath the sun.

paint1

It has always seemed real to me as well, but without the infirmities of the body.ie no aches & pains & perfect eyesight.

Thanatos5

(Responding to markulous)
Thanks man, it is starting to make sense to me, but if its that confusing to me who hasn't experienced it, I'm sure it's even more confusing to you who has experienced it, lol.

(Responding to everyone)
Thanks all for your details of how real astral projection feels. I hope mine will about as real or close to it.

Logic

The few times I have gotten out of my body for a moment, I felt at the time that the experience was far more real than waking life, though when I wake up I'm always skeptical. Im not really sure what I think.
We are not truly lost, until we lose ourselves.

Nostic

Quote from: LogicThe few times I have gotten out of my body for a moment, I felt at the time that the experience was far more real than waking life, though when I wake up I'm always skeptical. Im not really sure what I think.

You know, it's funny how when you have OBE's, they seem so real. But after you've spent a bit of time in the "real world", they take on a more dream-like, vague reality. I think the major problem here is not being able to recreate the experience at will- something that I'm actively trying to rectify.

MisterJingo

Quote from: Thanatos5I have a question that I hope both novice and veteran astral projectors can help in answering. Now, when your in the astral dimension, what does it feel like? More specifically, is the experience of being in this reality feel like normal, waking reality? Does it feel MORE than that? Does it feel just all like a dream? I want to know because soon I too will be going into the astral for the first time (consciously that is) and I want to know before I make that "leap" into it. Thank you.

It depends on my level of lucidity. Sometimes my consciousness is quite foggy, and I do things and then worry that i am really awake but half alseep. An example being that once I couldnt push through a window, so I opened the window and jumped out, but then I had a sudden fear that I might really be awake and have done something very stupid.
Other times my consciousness burns so bright that I am more aware then physical waking consciousness. Its hard to explain, but its like my mind and awarness is super aware, and it is an amazing experiece.